To Justin Wagner-TR6 trailing arm repair

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: To Justin Wagner-TR6 trailing arm repair
From: ybullet@flash.net (Steve L. Toth)
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 22:57:02 -0500
Justin wrote and I replied:

>>    Justin,
>>
>>    Yes, all should be replaced.  If not, those studs that haven't been
>> replaced will be stressed.  I plan on replacing all 12.  (6 per side).
>

>While I appreciate your reply... could you sorta back that with with an
>explanation of your experience or training, etc...

   Yes I can.  I'm a degreed Mechanical Engineer with over 13 years
experience and have been a motorhead since I rebulit a 3-1/2 hp Briggs &
Stratton lawn mover engine at the tender age of 9.  I would consider that a
bit of experience and training, wouldn't you?

>Your response doesn't really address the issue... if the orginal stud is
>still firmly in place... how would it be more "stressed" just because
>you replaced a couple damaged ones?

   They sheared out to begin with, didn't they?  Take into consideration
that I have tons of horsepower and very wide tires on the car.  All of this
contributes to the problem.  I think that this _does_ address the issue.

   You can replace whatever you like.  It's obvious to most people that it
would make sense to replace them all instead of one or two.

>If steel inserts are so good... should EVERYONE with a car that has some
>aluminum suspension pieces... should they remove studs and put in the
>inserts?  And if this is the case... was this NOT done by the relative
>factories? simply because it would be more expensive?

   I feel that if you will be autocrossing or racing your vehicle, these
replacements would be a good idea, not to mention a safety factor.

   The Engineers and Designers of these cars designed for a much thinner tire
and not for the higher output engines.  According to their 30 year old (key
words) calculations, the studs were the sufficient sizes for the forces
acting upon them.  Even today, if you modify an automobile engine and
suspension, you will need to upgrade with aftermarket products.

>I want to undertand the engineering factors involved with this procedure.

   I can understand that you do.  I will not sit here and type in the
formulas and calculations necessary to prove my point.  Some things are
derived from  common sense.

   You can install these inserts or not, I really don't care.  I will be
installing them on my car.  They are approved Military Standard products
used on all kinds of Military aircraft and I feel that they're just fine
for me too.

   Thanks for your time.

                                        Steve