Thanks everybody! From New Onwner

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Thanks everybody! From New Onwner
From: "Kevin B. Rhodes" <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 23:51:47 -0400
I would like to thank everyone who responded to several questions that I
posted last week on my Spitfire - and sum up what I found with the
guidance, and ask a couple more questions!

On my shocking overdrive - the general wisdom was that it was a grounded
wire causing me to get zapped, and indeed on close inspection that is just
what I have. Still no explanation of why it happens switching on and off -
the general wisdom seems to be that it should only happen when switching
off.

On the funky tube coming out of the valve cover - most people seemed to
think it was a DPO modification, but one person (sorry I can't recall who)
said it sounded just like what a '69 Spit should have - I tend to agree as
the engine is pure 69 Spit!

Turns out my starting trouble was as simple as my not pulling the choke out
all the way. Most of the car is a 77, so there was no provision to mount a
choke cable in the dash - the previous owner mounted the choke cable on a
flimsy bracket under the steering column. When pulling it out ALL the way,
I have found I need to hold the bracket to get it all the way out. I plan
to mount the factory choke cable from my 74 parts car to take care of this
problem. Starts first turn of the key now.

Now for a couple more questions:

Having always used synthetic oil in all my VW's and Volvo's (to 320,000+
miles in an 87 740GLE)  - what is the opinion of using Mobile 1 in a LBC?
Am I inviting seal problems? The motor in question was rebuilt with new
everything about 2 years/ 5000 miles ago. Same question for transmission
and rear end.

Last question - are the smaller style bumper underriders available for a 77
- I plan to at least replace the HUGE rear bumper with the nicer small one
from my 74 parts car. It would be nice to have the smaller European style,
like the pictures in the Haynes manual.

Thanks to all,

Kevin Rhodes

77, 74, 69, etc. Spitfire (on average, it's about a 74!)
91 Volvo 245 (feels like a school bus)