Triumphest, VTR, Show v. Go

To: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Triumphest, VTR, Show v. Go
From: Chris Prugh <prubrew@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 04:59:32 -0700
Cc: "'British List'" <british-cars@Autox.Team.Net>
Listers,
        I would like to give you all this big long history of my big wins in
both the driving and "show" competitions I've entered, BUT.....having JUST won
my first last weekend (placed, actually),  I would be "talking story" as they
say in Hawaii.
        In the eight some odd years I've owned the Spitfar, slowly bringing her
to what I want her to be (by NO means a "concourse" vehicle), I have casually
entered a few competitions.  This was done because they were there, the
opportunity to experience them, not necessarily with the desire to win.
        I drive her to all the events, last weekend the trip down to
Buellton/Solvang for the Moss meet being one of my favorites as it incorporates
the coast highway from Santa Cruz to just shy of Santa Barbara.  With my
camping gear strapped to the "functional" luggage rack, I and my fellow Spit
comrades enjoy the unfettered drive to the meets almost as much as the meets
themselves.
        As we set up our campsite last thursday, watching the other vehicles as
they rolled or were trailered in, an impromptu debate about the mindset of
"trailer queen owners" vs. drivers began.  Both sides were well represented as
we had our own "trailer queen" in our group, as well as a professional
restoration shop owner.
        There was, of course, NO clear cut winner of this debate, (actually
BOTH sides won) and the group continued to peacefully co exist throughout the
weekend.  The trailer queen never moved from it's owner's original show
placement all weekend, whereas our Spits never sat still longer than the 4
something hours on the Sunday morning poular vote show.
        This style of show is surely looked down upon by the TQ's in the mix,
no doubt discounting the results as being arrived at by a bunch of know nothing
rank amateurs.  To wit, the results of the voting in my class...first place in
the Spit/GT6 class was awarded to a TR4, go figure.  Obviously, the common folk
at these meets may not know the cars, but they know what they like.
        As for the driving events, funkhana, autox, rallies, etc., I would love
to see more of the "side curtained" cars in there.  The 1933 Rolls would look
pretty cool up on the balance beam or trying to negotiate the cones.  And just
what kind of handling DOES that big Healey have with that transplanted big
block V8 in it ?

        Anyway, I will be bringing all your comments and suggestions up to our
planning meeting this afternoon.  Our club, the Triumph Travelers out of
Sunnyvale, CA, is hosting the 1999 Triumphest out here, and the info will help
in our formation of the game plan.

Meanwhile, I'll keep the shiny side up and continue to drive like crazy.....

Chris Prugh
72 Spitfar
Morgan HIll, CA