Re: Spin On Oil Filters / TR6

To: ewcorco@erenj.com
Subject: Re: Spin On Oil Filters / TR6
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 10:00:39 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
ewcorco@erenj.com wrote:

> Would anyone happen to know a common brand (Fram, etc.)
> equivalent number for the spin on oil filters for the TR6?
> I installed the spin on kit but would rather use a better
> filter with it than the generic one commonly available in the
> catalogs.  Thanks in advance.

My personal preference for the TR6 spin-on oil filter
adapter is the Motorcraft FL-400A.  (My family has been
long-time Ford enthusiasts, and this way at least a small
bit of that can continue in the TR6.)  Alternate brands
are AC X21+, Fram PH3600, Purolator PER195, or WIX 51516.

Regardless of which brand of filter you use, I have
become convinced that this filter is the best match
for the TR-6 spin-on adapter, because of the built-in
filter relief valve and relatively high surface oil,
allowing for higher oil flow than a smaller filter.

Rather than describe the reasons in detail in this mail
message, I'll instead refer you to one of the articles
at the VTR WWW site concerning this:

  http://www.vtr.org/maintain/tr6-spinon.html

I haven't yet had a chance to scan in the drawings that
belong with the article, but the text will give some
more insight into filter selection for a full-flow
oil system as used in the TR-6.

--ken
'70 & '74 TR6 Daily Drivers
VTR WWW Maintainer -- http://www.vtr.org