Re: Tr4 Progress

To: DANMAS@aol.com
Subject: Re: Tr4 Progress
From: "John L. Walker" <up497@freenet.victoria.bc.ca>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 21:52:28 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Sat, 26 Jul 1997 DANMAS@aol.com wrote:

> Malcolm:
>
> The regulator for the gauges, unless it is a modern replacement solid state
> unit, works just like a turn signal flasher. It consists of a bi-metal strip,
> a set of contacts, and a piece of heater element wrapped around the bi-metal
> strip.

<snip>

This is an excellent description.  Sadly, I've got the solid state unit.
Luckily, my problem in the fuel gauge was traced to operator error; the
terminal had moved when I removed the plug contacts for cleaning and was
grounded to the case of the gauge.  I figured that it was the gauges by
removing them from the circuit at the voltage stabiliser.

Isn't it amazing how much we use these silly bi-metal strips without
knowing about them... I know that they're what make the toaster (not)
work, and the same for a circuit breaker, and those annoying twinklite
xmas light bulbs <g>

On the topic of light bulbs, can anyone tell me which bulb is the parking
light (operated by light pull switch) and which is the signal light
(operated by turn signal stalk)...?  None of these work and I'd like to
make sure that they're correct if I have to rewire 'em.

-Malcolm

    Too many rocks and not enough sand.