Re: Stuck Tach Cable solution

To: "John L. Walker" <up497@freenet.victoria.bc.ca>
Subject: Re: Stuck Tach Cable solution
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 09:45:07 -0400
Cc: The Collective Wisdoms <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
John L. Walker wrote:

> My tacho cable had worn through where it touches the
> master cylinder base (above the pedals). ...

> j) if it does, drizzle some more oil down the end that's
> turning.  Turn off engine and re-connect tach end of
> cable.  Put some grease on the nylon bearing, if desired.

The description you gave of fixing the tach cable seemed
like a fairly decent way of getting it to work.  However,
I would add one caution:

  Over-greasing or over-oiling the tachometer (or speedo)
  cable is a common cause for failure of the tach or speedo.

What happens is that the oil or greases in the cable
works its way up, over time into the tach or speedo unit,
and collects on the moving parts inside.  Dirt and dust
collects on the oil & grease, and botches up the
mechanism.  This is another cause of the "bouncy" tach
or speedo needle (most common cause is bad cable) and
requires careful disassembly, cleaning, and re-assembly
of the tach/speedo unit to fix.

--ken
'70 & '74 TR6 Daily Drivers, w/1 good tachs, 1 good
tach that reads 500rpm high, and 2 bouncy speedos...

--
Kenneth B. Streeter         | EMAIL: streeter@sanders.com
Sanders, PTP2-A001          |