Spitfire clutch slave pinchbolt..Gotcha!

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Spitfire clutch slave pinchbolt..Gotcha!
From: "Nicholls, Clark" <cnicholl@lawson.epri.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 09:53:04 -0400
Backed out of the garage Saturday in my 74 Spitfire with the 1 year old,
silicone fluid, new slave, rebuilt master clutch hydraulic system and
found out once I was crossways blocking the street (luckily I leave on a
dead-end road) that the clutch was stuck disengaged!  I pushed it back
in the driveway, hooked up to the lawntractor and towed it back to the
garage (slight hill).  Got a neighbor to help push it over the lip into
the garage and put her up on the jackstands.  Removed the line to the
salve to see if it was the master locked up like last year, but this
didn't release the clutch.  Rolled underneath and hammered on the slave
to no effect.  Oh, well..  I guess I have to take the slave out (ugh.  I
hate that job).  Got the proper tools and turned the nut on the pinch
bolt to remove it and heard a clunk as the clutch was released!
Evidently I over-tightened it last year during installation and it
(temporarily I hope) deformed the slave and caught the slave piston this
time.  The nut is now as loosened and all seems well (in that arena, at
least)...

By the way, I took this opportunity to install the Speedbleeder (1 way
checkvalve built into a bleeder) and bleeding was a snap!
(www.speedbleeder.com)

Now off to the ignition/engine problems