TR4A Body Removal

To: triumphs digest <Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR4A Body Removal
From: Peter Kennison <kentech@mint.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 21:52:08 -0400
Just having purchased my first Triumph project car, mostly in boxes
after being deserted for 13 years, I've been reading the digest for
restoration tips. I'd thought it time to offer mine.

I found it interesting to read that all that was needed to remove the
body from the frame was to remove 14 bolts or so, get four strong
friends and pull. This I read after convincing my wife (all of 120lbs)
that she and I were going to do it ourselves AND DID!

The hood, trunk lid doors and fenders were already in the parts stack
(nicely stipped to bare metal 13 years ago and still solid) so the tub
was lightened already. We got our best leather work gloves, grabbed
under the rockers, bent knees and heaved. "I can't, it's too..." "Too
late" I said "LIFT!" and up it came and out came another "I can't" or
two. Well by this time, I was committed and there was no stopping. I had
already prepared stands in the garage from 2x6 and 2x4 lumber that
allows me to roll the frame/engine/suspension assembly out from under
where the tub would rest 3 feet over the frame for body work. So holding
this beast in our arms. "I'm gonna drop this damn thing!!!" she said.
"You better not or ..." I replied. So, eye to eye, inch by inch we
walked the tub off the back of the frame into the garage where the
stands we waiting. Oops. Wait. This is the front stand and that is the
back stand. "Hold on" "I'm GONNA drop this damn thing!!!" Well, we did
it. "You'd better get someone else to do it next time. I'm NOT GOING TO"
Well, I guess I'm blessed and bragging about her (wife) a little bit. Is
hoping for Panasports for Christmas too much?
Thanks for the list.
--
1967 TR4A Live Axle CT 66715
Manchester, Maine "The Way Life Should Be"