What is normal RPM at 55 MPH for a 72 Spit?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net (triumphs@autox.team.net)
Subject: What is normal RPM at 55 MPH for a 72 Spit?
From: jw@mail09.mitre.org (Joe Whalley)
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 97 20:58:37 -0400
I have my Spitfire on the road after the PO kept it in the grass for 3 years.
I think it runs amazingly well given its age and my expertise... It indicates
3500RPM at 55 MPH. Is this about right? It seems like this little engine is
really working hard, as my Dad-Mobile Olds shows 2000 RPM @65 MPH.

I just installed P155-13 tires, as the 185's on it were shot and seemed too
large. I believe they are about the right size in terms of original tires and
thus speedo calib. I guess I'm not really sure how fast I'm going - it SEEMs
fast, but I get passed a lot! My temp gauge only indicates mid-range, with a
new sensor installed, so cooling seems fine in the mid-summer.

I replaced the rear shocks, and the rear end seems much more solid - the only
sound I can describe now is "thrummming" in the rear axle? I'm trying to
develop an ear for 'bad, potentially expensive noises', this being my first
experience with LBCs.

Thanks for suggestions and help to date - Hey Charlie B - I may have received
yours without my personal thanks - I do appreciate all !

Joe