oil pressure switch

To: list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Subject: oil pressure switch
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 23:07:44 -0400
Peter Zaborski writes:
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Snip >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hi Dave,

You recently posted a note regarding the fact that the pressure warning
switch can be connected in such a way as to cause battery drain. I have
recently been pulling the wires off mine numerous times and am wondering
if I have the connection correct.

My car is a 76 and the three wires in the Bentley (and on my car) are:
- black at 12 o'clock
- white-brown at 3 (this is the terminal at 90 degrees to the other two)
- white-*pink* at 6

I am not sure iif the new switch is the same as old one here since my
battery has been exhibiting signs of weakness lately. So I am asking for
your instructions in how to test the switch using an ohm meter. Any help
greatly appreciated.

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< End Snip >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Ok Pete, Try this.

The white/Brown wire works the oil pressure failure light.  This light
should illuminate
when the engine is off (No oil pressure) and off when the engine is
running.  Move this
wire to the position the white/Pink is connected (remove this wire and let
it hang).
Now the oil pressure light should work just the opposite as before.  If
this is so then
the switch is working OK.  If the oil light stays on all the time then the
switch is not working
right.

Of course you must test the switch with the key on or turn the key back on
after turning the
engine off.

Or try this:

Pull the White/Pink wire from the switch.  Did you hear a click.  If so
then you have a bad
switch.  If not touch this wire to the block and listen for the click.  If
you can hear the click
when touching the block but not to the terminal then your battery problem
is somewhere else.

OTOH I doubt that the switch configuration changes switch to switch.  It is
easier for the
manufacturer to maintain the same configuration than to change it.

Good luck.

Dave Massey, Electrical Engineer

P.S. sorry about the time it took me to respond but I am on the digest and
I travel alot so I don't
always get my E-Mail in a timely manor.