TR3 Carb Problem

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR3 Carb Problem
From: sid woznica <woznica@magi.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 09:12:20 -0400
I am a new owner of a 60 Tr3 with twin SUs, and not mechanically
inclined (yet). Lately, on cold starts the car runs quite rough and will
die unless the choke is kept on continuously. It's been suggested that
I'm running on one carb only and that the "needle valve" on one of the
carbs (I'm not sure which one) is stuck closed, preventing fuel from
reaching the other carb. I've tapped the lower portion of both carbs with
a piece of metal and sure enough after 5, 10, or 20 vigorous taps the
engine stops shaking and RPM seems to go up. I can then drive away
smoothly.

- What is the "needle valve"?

- In which carb (#1-near the firewall or #2-closer to the rad) is this
  needle valve likely to reside, so I only have to assault the guilty
  one?

- What is the best (i.e. quickest, easiest, cheapest) long term solution
  to this problem?

  Your suggestions will be most appreciated. Thanks.

Sid Woznica
Ottawa Canada
woznica@magi.com