Spit Mk 4 Crankshaft & UNL cy head

Subject: Spit Mk 4 Crankshaft & UNL cy head
From: Andy Bristow <ajbristow@taz.dra.hmg.gb>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 14:36:00 +0100
Hi all

I have a '72 Mk 4 and wonder if anyone can help with a few queries.

I have heard that this particular engine (eng no starts FH) eats
crankshafts/bearings for breakfast, and the way to tell if you've got
bearing trouble is if there is movement of the flywheel. Is this true ??

The other thing is that I've got the head off right now, and I need to
replace the valves, valve guides etc. I see that Rimmer Bros are
offering unleaded heads. With the price of 4star, I thought this might
be a good time to change to u/l.

Does anyone have any experience of u/l heads, or know who else who does
them here in the UK (Rimmer can be expensive).

cheers

Andy

--
Andy Bristow                    ajbristow@taz.dra.hmg.gb