TR3

To: woznica@magi.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR3
From: JAMES_S_WALLACE@HP-Canada-om1.om.hp.com
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 97 10:04:25 -0400
Item Subject: cc:Mail Text
     Hi Sid,
     I noted your posting on the Triumph list with interest as I too have a
     TR3 and am in Ottawa.
     With regard to your carburetor question, each one has a float bowl
     that works just like the tank on the back of a toilet. The carburetor
     draws gas from it as needed, and the fuel pump keeps it filled when
     its level drops. Now when the float goes down, it lets a needle drop
     out of a corresponding tapered hole (the seat, another toilet term),
     by gravity. When there's enough gas the float pushes the needle back
     up into the seat. So a needle sticking into its seat will starve the
     carb of fuel, and a needle not seating well (quite common, usually due
     to dirt) will allow gas to flow all over the place.
     The needle and seat are generally replaced together. There's an
     alternative to the tapered needle and seat setup called a Grose-Jet
     (brand name I guess), where a ball rolls into place rather then a
     needle, and they claim to be wonderful. Others on the list seem to
     have expressed satisfaction with them, although I did notice one
     person saying he removed his after some difficulties. I have no
     experience with these myself though.
     I hope this helps. If you want to get in touch "on the side", we could
     meet up someplace and I'll be happy to point out all this stuff on
     your car.

     Regards,
     Jim Wallace
     jwallace@canada.hp.com