Brakes for a '58 TR3A

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Brakes for a '58 TR3A
From: Jeff Raymond <raymo1@airmail.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 09:08:54 -0500
I've had a hard drive crash (actaully my operating system is/was
missing.. and I had to re-format) and lost the threads to thank the
proper folks.  I got my 10" girling shoes relined for $24.00 locally,
got all new rubber parts and will be rebuilding the brake system this
weekend.

A couple of questions:

I cannot get the piston out of the clutch master.  I've tried compressed
air and it wouldn't budge.  I knew carb cleaner would dissolve the
rubber so I soaked it hoping to break the seal, which is how I got the
brake master cylinder out. It's pushed all the way in or I'd just give
it a little push to break it loose and then use compressed air to blow
it out.  I thought about drilling a small hole in the piston and
threading a screw into to give me something to pull on.

Is that a bad idea?  Any other suggestions?

Also I've been told by a person locally that the front brake shoes were
the same all the way through the Spitfires.  Is this true?  The car is
200 miles away and I left the front pads there so cannot take them with
me to match up.  I thought it would be a good idea to be able to stop
the car before I hauled it home.  Hate to roll it off the trailer and
not be able to stop.

Praise Bob and cut me some slack.....

Jeff Raymond
'58 TR3A  TS28172