Re: Unusual VIN on 60 TR3A

To: Doug Mathews <tr3run@peachnet.campus.mci.net>, Bob Paul <EPaul21988@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Unusual VIN on 60 TR3A
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 13:33:06 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: Chris Lillja <Chris_Lillja@Pupress.Princeton.Edu>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Thu, 31 Jul 1997, Doug Mathews wrote:

> Bob, I'll check the book tonight, but when was that started?
>
> >According to the Piggot book, this is a plate added by Standard
> >Triumph USA (the importer) with the year of importation - I guess
> >1962 in your case.

I have to wonder, though, if that plate really contains a year reference.
According to what information has been published in the past by VTR,
TS71101L was most likely built on 3/17/60 and  would very likely have
been considered a 1960 model. It is, of course, possible that it remained
unsold for quite some time, perhaps even until the 1962 "model year" but
I still have suspicions about such an importer or distributor ID plate
being "post-dated" that way. OTOH, I have no other guesses as to what the
"62" refers to.

And those plates are by no means universal on Triumphs of the period,
which leads me to wonder if they were affixed to cars by Standard-Triumph
USA or by one or several (but not all) the regional distributors?

--Andy