Front Suspension Trunnions

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net (Reply Requested)
Subject: Front Suspension Trunnions
From: Alan.McEachran@anixter.com
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 17:11:26 -0400
Here's one for you all.  If you can help please make some suggestions!

I'm trying to remove my trunnions as I am rebuilding the front suspension and
am having a real bitch of a time.  I'm following the Bently manula and all was
well up until I removed the trunnion mounting nut and split pin.  Now my
problem starts.  I cannot get the bolt to move at all.  Have tried penetrating
oils, heat and big time pounding.  No luck.

There is something that seems to be a bit weird though.  On the spring there
are two little metal blocks that are wedged into to spring and set near the
bottom spring mount (what the heck are these things?).  My guess is that these
are used to stiffen the spring and give a stiffer suspension.  When I try to
move the spring to take the tension off of the suspension it moves about a 1/4"
before stopping.  Any further jacking results in the car lifting, not the
suspension link.  I have a sneaking feeling that these blocks are not allowing
me to take the tension off the link.  Thus the trunnion bolt is still under
stress and won't budge.  I'm going to try to remove these blocks again, but
they are set in really well. probably before the spring was installed.  Then
try the trunnion bolt.

Any other suggestions or recommedations that have worked for you trunnion bolt
bashers?
I'm always willing to learn the correct technique after goofing around for
hours!

Alan