RE: Electric Cooling Fans

To: "Ken Streeter" <streeter@sanders.com> (Return requested)
Subject: RE: Electric Cooling Fans
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 12 Aug 1997 08:32:23 -0700
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> (Return requested)
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 0646033F08207019-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-received: by /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 12 Aug 1997 08:32:23 -0700
X400-received: by mta mtamailhub in /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 12 Aug 1997 08:32:23 -0700
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <0646033F08207019*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
Thanks, Ken.  Whew!  I was reading the thread and it kept getting more
esoteric as it went along.  Interestingly, I went through the same mental
exercise recently as I installed an electric pusher fan in addition to the
stock fan on my 64 Spit. because I had refurbished everything and it still
ran pretty warm on a hot SoCal summer day.  So I went to Pep Boys and
bought a 10 inch Hayden and thermostat kit for about $75.  Works great.
Never gets beyond 3/4 on the gauge, even idling in heavy traffic on a 90
degree day.  No longer original, but to heck with the purists, I like to
DRIVE the damn thing!

Ross D. Vincenti
Asst. General Counsel/Asst. Sec'ty.
Transamerica Home Loan - Legal Dept.
Los Angeles, CA 90015
(213) 742-4756 phone
(213) 741-7231 or 741-6945 fax
ross.vincenti@transamerica.com
64 Spitfire 4
64 Porsche 356C Coupe

From: Ken Streeter [SMTP:streeter@sanders.com]

Vincenti, Ross wrote:

> Look, all this talk of "wasted electricity", "watts output",
> "engine loading", "road horsepower", etc., etc. is terrific
> engineering stuff and I suppose that in some circles it is
> enlightening.  But the bottom line is that Kinderlehrer was
> trying to figure out whether to go with an electric fan or
> would it rob too much horsepower.

You're right.  We sometimes lose sight of the real question.
My perspective would be to stick with the stock system unless
one is having cooling problems, and all the other more
likely causes of problems have been explored.  The stock
fan should be sufficient to cool the car.  If one wants some additional HP
for competitive driving, the electric fan (assuming removal of stock
mechanical fan) would be helpful, even though one would need a dyno to
really find out how much.
You won't have to worry about the asbestos suit and fire
extinguisher on my account!  :-) :-)