Re: "The Red Car"

To: "scott suhring" <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Subject: Re: "The Red Car"
From: "Larry Griffin" <lgriffin@peace.edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 21:59:33 -0400
Cc: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Scott Suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net> wrote:

> A while back there was a number of postings and discussion about
> the book "The Red Car".  I have been keeping an eye open for it at
> used book stores and finally decided to do some searching on the
> net..
>
> Birds Nest Books out of Montana contucted a free search and located
> the book for $27, postage included.  For clarification regarding
> correct publisher is Funk and Wagnall's, 1954 (Grosset & Dunlap was
> sighted before). Possibly two different publishers, but not likely
> since the same year is quoted..

Scott,

You're were lucky! About 14 or so years ago, I spotted a very torn up copy
in a local bookstore. It brought back great memories since it was one of
the books that influenced my love for lbc's. I didn't buy it.

About a month later, Satch Carlson (spelling?) wrote a column about it in
Autoweek. Naturally, that made me  _really_ want to buy it. Of course, by
then it had been sold. I spent years looking for a copy. I even contacted
most of the major used book vendors in Hemmings. Not a copy was
to be found.

Several years later, I glanced through a charity sale at a local mall, and
found a perfect copy for 25 cents!  :-)

Larry Griffin
lgriffin@peace.edu
68 Spitfire