TR-3 belching black smoke

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TR-3 belching black smoke
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 1997 02:38:13 -0400
The following was emailed to me and I thought I
would ask the collective wisdom of the net.

  The car in question is a TR3.

> I have some research for you to if if you would be so kind.  My tr3 runs
> like shit.  It blows yuns of black smoke out the tail pipe on acceleration.
> Smells real bad too.  It seems to be getting worse as well.  I am worried it
> is something mechanical that has failed.  In the past I always thought it
> was mixture and this "choke problem" I told you about with the mixture
> resetting itself.  But now I am not sure.  The mixture test (raising the
> piston in the carb) shows the mixture is OK (unless I am doing it wrong).
> It does not seem to be oil burning, that would be blue and smell differently.

  What would cause black smoke on acceleration?

  I thought about too-thick carb oil but it would
have to be molasses to be this bad.

  Torn carb diaphragm? Ideas?

  I think the car is still rideable, but not pleasant.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada