Re: 74 Spitfire in-line ballast resistor?

To: "Nicholls, Clark" <cnicholl@lawson.epri.com>
Subject: Re: 74 Spitfire in-line ballast resistor?
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 1997 15:49:32 -0400
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Nicholls, Clark wrote:
> Apparently (to make a long story short, after taking various voltage
> measurements...) there is a ballast resistor in the ignition wiring of
> my 74 Spitfire.

  Yup. Eliminating it for an ignition conversion?

> It's not a ceramic resistor anywhere in the engine compartment, and I
> need some clues on where to find it.
>
> Is it a wire?

  It's likely a wire in the harness somewhere.

> How do I eliminate it?

  Just ignore it. I assume your problem is that you
have 6-9V at the coil but your new ignition wants
the full 12V.

  Unhook the wire that provides the 6-9V and tie
it up nicely. Attach a "proper" 12V line that
provides 12V when ignition is on. I don't have your
exact car, but there should be one around.

  My Midget was wired similarily, but I removed
the ballast to install my Pertronix. Just wired
around it.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada