Re: Lotta hot air: GT6 vs TR6?

To: Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV
Subject: Re: Lotta hot air: GT6 vs TR6?
From: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@octonline.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 1997 15:59:28 -0400
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV wrote:

> Having just replaced the original tunnel in my GT6 with a plastic one that I
> insulated, I am curious about how the design of the TR6 differs from my car.
> never hear TR6 owners complain about too much heat off the engine bay --
> what*s up with that?  There must me more to it than the soft vs. hard top
> difference ....
>
> After oh, 20 minutes or so of driving, hot air wants to come into my GT6 like
> there is just no tomorrow.  My current attempt to beat it back involves rope
>caulk
> and an unusual Haitian voodoo ritual..
>
> I also have to wonder what possessed the Triumph engineers to stop cutting
> the louvers in the bonnet when they made the GT6 3?
>
> --
> Martin Secrest
> 73 GT6 III

Martin, I've gone the similar route with my 76 Spit. I changed to the
plastic tunnel from TRF. But I insulated it with some neat stuff from
Home Depot. They sell a two layer bubble wrap lined with foil on each
side. It is called Reflectix and it is normally used for heating duct
insulation. I put 2 layers on the whole inside and then two more on the
front larger half. This was "glued" on with a tape that has no
backing...it's just glue. This tape (also Home Depot) is a lot easier
and much faster than using contact cement. Then I trimmed the edges with
2 inch wide foil tape. The finishing touch was adding strips of plastic
tape as an insulator over the areas of the tranny and overdrive switches
to prevent shorts.
I also made aluminum strips that fit on the outside edges of the tranny
cover to spread the compression area of the screws.
If you have read my post of about a month ago on "Hot Feet", you would
know that my feet were very uncomfortable. Now my feet are comfy and I
can enjoy the drive. I'd still like to have a fresh air flow but that
would mean cutting the fire wall, adding vent and hose.
I'm really happy with the results of the new cover and the insulation.

Vic Whitmore
76 Spitfire
Thornhill, Ontario