Freeze Plugs

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, bschwartz@encad.com
Subject: Freeze Plugs
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 18:00:34 -0400 (EDT)
Hi All,
On Tue, 02 Sep 1997
Barry Schwartz wrote:
Actually, the term 'freeze plug' is misnomer.  While they may pop out when
or if the block water freezes, (although usually the block just cracks)
that's not what they are there for.  They are more accurately termed core
plugs and are use when the block is cast to hold and allow for the removal
of the inner sand core during and after the casting operation.  They are
then plugged with 'core plugs' to seal up the block.  Some are also there
to provide access for machining certain areas like the cam bearings.
Just thought you might like to know :-)
Thanx Barry,whilst you are quite right,I just thought I'd add that core plugs
are the type shaped like a flattened out bucket,whereas the older name is of
course
'welch washer' which is a flat,slightly concave piece of metal,which does the
same job.
Freeze Plugs,Core Plugs or Welch Washers whatever,whenever rebuilding your
engine,be certain to replace each and every one of them,they cost pennies and
if you don't replace even one of  them,then that'll be the one to blow,(don't
ask me how I know this),FWIW,unless incredibly low temperatures are the norm'
in your part of the world,they are more likely to rust through than anything
else.
note that they can be effectively repaired to get you home,with epoxy resin
or a similar metal repair paste like JB Weld.
Remember,don't blow it!
Regards,
Leon F Guyot,
London,England.

 Barry Schwartz in San Diego, CA

Bschwartz@encad.com
72-V6/5sp Spitfire ( daily driver )
70 GT6+ ( when I don't drive the Spitfire )
70 (sorta) Spitfire ( project )
73  Ford Courier ( parts hauler )