GT6 (66)

To: pellemr@nbnet.nb.ca
Subject: GT6 (66)
From: Dave Terrick <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 1997 17:16:46 -0500
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Dear pellemer@nbnet.nb.ca and list

re GT6 suspensions.....

yes, these cars ride like gravel trucks.

I just made a 250 mile jaunt from the lake to the city

(the direct route is only 65 miles but what the hell, I hadn't driven the
Canadian Shield lately (btw, for those ignoratn of the fact,  Manitoba's
Eastern border is a park on the edge of the shield...huge rock cuts,
fairly violent undulations of terrain,  blind curves,etc.   Many occasions
your visibility is counted in mere seconds at the <legal> speed....need I
say more about my detour?)

1.  Sitting on the floorpan for this distance is rather uncomfortable
(Corbeau GT8 race bucket with shot webbing underneath).

2.  The rear end is overly stiff unless the car is fully laiden with gear
for 2 (or race tyres and nomex,etc).

3.  Tyre pressures make a huge difference in ride and handling.  Shit but
comfortable at 24/27.   My best lap times made with something like 35F 32R.
 Can you say Chiropractor?  I knew you could.

4.  Who cares how they feel.  I get looks from Harley owners,  5 litre
Mustang owners with big stereos and baseball-cap-impaired kids,  and
<anyone, it seems> with an Italian designed bodyshell.  My '6 never did
that.  Not to take anything away from my 6 (RIP) - I really do miss the
convertible part nad the feel and the sound - the GT is to Triumph what the
250 GT Berlinetta  Lusso was to Ferrari....  no the fastest, not the
roomiest,  etc,   but some undefinable Gestalt.

Now I am faced with the question of doing another GT while they are still
available and inexpensive, or getting back into the 4A.  Or maybe paying a
few of those credit lines off first!  Can anyone out there suggest a way to
evaporate interest payments?

Dave Terrick
Winnipeg
69 GT6+