horn

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: horn
From: joe-schneider@nwu.edu (Joseph R Schneider)
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 19:52:28 -0500
fellow listers-
please help, or I may do something rash!
my 76 Spitfire 1500 had non-operative horn when it arrived- I have spent
more time on the horn than any other repair-
initially, the wire had pulled away from the brass(?) ring behind the
steering wheel, first time I fixed it fell apart, (I won't tell you about
the black prince's demon that accompanied this wihich I exorcised
successfully)
I took it apart again, drilled a new hole in the soldering tab and
resoldered, now I think I could pick up the car with it, no problem- now
after reassembly, the relay trips just fine, loud click, get about 11 volts
at top tab of relay (by the way, what's the fourth wire, black with green
stripe, attached to this relay and that's not in the wiring diagram in
Haynes?), but horns just chirp most of the time, only occasionally make
their expected horn noise, and I keep blowing the fuse, not immediately,
but after several prolonged touches of the horn button with the chirps as
above- my cheap ohmeter shows very little resistance in the horns, but my
only ohm scale is too coarse to estimate real resistance
I am reluctant to believe both horns are bad at the same time and they both
act this way when the other is disconnected, on the other hand, the relay
seems OK, any ideas?
thanks
by the way, someone fed my patient this morning, so I cancelled his
operation and took the afternoon for a nice drive in the Spitfire, about 65
degrees, sunny, glorious
Joe

Joseph R Schneider    Web Page http://pubweb.acns.nwu.edu/~jschneid/JRS.HTML
76 Spitfire 1500  FM45587UC  VTR #11526  *Spit happens*
"I'll take him to the Jesuits for they know the sins of the Pope himself."
Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt page 129 (my daughter attends a Jesuit High
School)