Re: Muffler replacements

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Muffler replacements
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwartz@encad.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 12:54:17 -0700
Michael B. writes:
       < snip  >
>     What I've finally decided to do is to adapt a TR4 muffler.  The 'can'
>     is the same size and shape as the GT6+ can, the inlet is in the right
>     place and *appears* to be the same diameter (or larger) than the stock
>     GT6+, and it has only one, albeit larger, outlet in the correct place.
>     It also has 2 hanger brackets on it, but I think that I'll use only
>     one.
     <   snip  >
******************************
While the "can" itself may appear the right size, the inlets and outlets
are on opposite sides of the car and are baffled for a straight four
(different pulses).  The outlet(s) are on the left on the TR4/TR6 while the
outlet(s) are on the right for the Spitfire/GT6.  You can't simply turn it
over as the bent tubes will now face the wrong way.  It is possible to cut
off the tubes and weld new ones in their place at the correct angles/bends
to fit where the GT6 would (as I have used a TR6 dual outlet muffler for
the V6 Spit and done exactly that) but you will still need to
fabricate/weld new mounting brackets to match up with the ones on the body
because you will still need to turn the muffler body 'up-side-down' so to
speak.  All in all not difficult, but it is time consuming.  Victoria
British lists just the rear muffler for the GT6+ at $186, expensive still,
but a lot less work to install, and you will have that wonderful GT6 sound
that Triumph engineers spent so much time perfecting(and they did some
mighty weird things to get the sound just right)!

Barry Schwartz in San Diego, CA

Bschwartz@encad.com
72-V6/5sp Spitfire ( daily driver )
70 GT6+ ( when I don't drive the Spitfire )
70 (sorta) Spitfire ( project )
73  Ford Courier ( parts hauler )