SB42

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: SB42
From: dstauffa@csc.com
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 15:29:38 -0700
I just got off the phone with Senator's Kopp's office.  The Assembly
Appropriations Committee voted 20 - 0 to pass SB42.  The bill now goes to
the Assembly floor for final vote.  From there it goes to Govenor Wilson's
desk for signature.  That's the good news....

The bill was amended.  No big surprise!  To overcome intense resistance by
the pertroleum and automotive repair lobbies, the bill now exempts all cars
1973 and older for the next five years.  After that, it will become a
rolling 30-year exemption.  I guess this is what the above lobbys wanted in
the begining but compromised to extend the exemption from 1965 to 1973.

The bill came out of committee with a "Do Pass" label.  This is government
speak for a recommendation to vote for the bill when it comes up on the
Assembly floor.  Chances are that with the current legislative load - over
500 bills - this measure will pass.  I can only assume that this compromise
satisfied those members of the governor staff who were concerned about the
loss of revenues from all the exempted cars.

Thanks,

Dave
San Diego
1970 RHD PI TR6 - with a good chance of getting it registered, now.