Re: Haynes vs. Bentley

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Haynes vs. Bentley
From: jgillis@tcd.ie (John Gillis)
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 10:23:40 +0100
>Here's one for you all.  I own a 60 TR3A.  Got the Haynes manual and the
>factory Service Instruction Manual.  Is there an advantage, or is it worth
>it, to also get a copy of the Bentley manual?  In particular, I'll be
>rebuilding the front suspension this winter.  (That will be the subject of
>another message to all of you mechanical wizards as the time gets nearer.)
>Thanks for your input!  Bob Van

Bob
I have just finished the suspension re-build you talk about, but in my case
it was on a TR2. In my garage I had bot Bentley and Haynes to hand. By the
time I had finished the Haynes did not even have a oily finger mark,
whereas the Bentley's pages were actually falling out from the amount of
use. This is hard for me to admit, as on this side of the pond I have grown
up with Haynes manuals and still have several issues for several different
Triumphs I have owned, but I have to say the Bentely was better in all
respects but one, there is generally more actual photos in the Haynes which
can prove useful. The Bentely does have a head start really, being a pirate
copy of the factory manual with some data excluded.

John Gillis
1954 TR2 TS3618. October 1954 (ground up)
1964 Triumph 3TA 350cc (a little gem)
Trinity College
Dublin,
IRELAND.