2500M test drive results

To: tvr@domino.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 2500M test drive results
From: breedon@ucdhep.ucdavis.edu
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 02:38:59 PST
Cc: breedon@ucdhep.ucdavis.edu
After a couple months of sitting in the garage with many of its parts scattered
about, I finally got my '74 TVR 2500M back to street operable condition two
nights ago.  I have replaced just about everything I can easily reach:  the
ignition system including the coil, new chrome direct flow air cleaners, all
hoses and vacuum lines, carbon cannister, etc.  I also got the electric cooling
fans working for the first time in a decade and replaced a missing fan blade
with a new one from Kenlowe. In anticipation of going for another smog test,
seeing that I am at least 3 months late, I set the valve clearances to .015"
and made sure the dwell was on the upper end of the 34-37 deg range.  Timing is
to the indicated 4ATDC.

Once warm, however, I have to turn the idle way up for it to keep running and
it is still not smooth.  I suspect this is because the vacuum advance is
working better than it has in years through clean tubing.  (Idle is faster and
smooth if I pull the vacuum line.)  Does anyone have any other ideas?
Otherwise it seems to run fairly well at higher rpm.

So at about 1 am, in spite of the noise possibly bothering the neighbors, I
took it out on the road to see what might break.  Not 5 minutes out, what
should I see through the back window but the flashing red lights of a police
car.  I pulled over worried about the registration renewal - I paid the fees
but do not have my sticker pending a successful smog test - and the fact that
there is no front liscense plate (no place for it to go on a 2500M).  The
police did not get out of their car, but just pulled along side and told me I
had no tailights!  I had wondered why the dash lights were out as well.  I
told them I would go right home and fix it.  "Have a good one," he said as he
took off.

The problem turned out to be corrosion on the fuse.  I like problems that are
simple to fix.

Back in the light,  Richard Breedon

P.S. Any TVR owners planning to be at the Palo Alto British Car Meet on Sunday?
It's a 2 hour drive for me, a great opportunity to test my repairs, and create
the need for new ones.