driveshaft bolts on TR series

To: duhart@symbol.com
Subject: driveshaft bolts on TR series
From: Dave Terrick <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 09:13:33 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
John (and list)

...sure beats the hell outta me how you can torque a 3/8 bolt t o100 lbs
without
a)  snapping it
b) snapping many bones in one or both of your hands when the bolt lets go
c) getting one of them little  "far easterners" <<(pc for Japanese?) who
are the same ones that put together Hondas with incredible highly torqued
steel bolts running into aluminum caings that you cant get to unless you
have the hand size of a 7 year old and the dexterity of a primate >> to do
the job for you.

I have never had success finding a small primate that has his own torque
wrench so...

- I take 2 wrenches, 1 is a box end and one is a combination.  Fit them
wherever they fit so thatthe included angle (the angle between the inside
of the wrenches ) is within your hand span.  Alternately,  set the 1 wrench
so its' torque acts against the frame or other solid part of your TR

-  I squeeze as hard as possible.  THIS is my torque spec.

- If I'm concerned, like GT6 rotoflex,  I also use blue Loctite or equivalent.

Since 1984, I have never had a torque related failure.  I did have a nyloc
back out on me but of course this was because I reused 25 yr old ones.
Talk about the D in DPO. Grab a box of GR 5 from your local fastener
store/industrial supply warehouse.

The <specialty> part about the bolts is the non threadded shank which
passes through the flanges and the oddball length (slightly shorter than a
stock item).

Aircraft bolts (AN series, also mil spec) are sized by "Grip Length",  the
specific thickness that the bolt passses through.  The threads of
conventional 3/8 x 1.5 bolt will chafe and oblong the flange holes
eventually, even if it doesnt come loose.  Pegasus Racing (1 800 688 6946)
has all this stuff, their catalogue is free, and if you needit, theyll sell
it.  BTW,  AN stuff  comes in grip lengths of 1/8 increments so at most, a
flat washer is all you'd need.

IMHO,  all you likely need a re new gr 5 nylocs,  save the bolts unless the
threads are corrup or there is obvious wear - or you are racing.  Bla bla bla.

DAve Terrick
69 GT6
Winnipeg