Another One Stirs Up Dust

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Another One Stirs Up Dust
From: vitesse@juno.com (Hugh R McAleer)
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 10:18:05 EDT
Cc: greyhorse@juno.com, bonusround@juno.com, macappelli@juno.com, ranman1@juno.com, stag@mailgate.wizvax.net
After 12 long years....the '71 Stag is on the road!

If you are a purist, stop reading here....my nomex suit has holes

If not a purist, let me share the story of my '71 Stag with you.  I
bought it in January for $400.  It was left in a barn by the PO who had
owned it since '81 and who had replaced the drivetrain in '82 after the
original motor died somewhere in the mid west.  I've tried to find the
original motor but it looks like it is gone.  After replacing the
drivetrain the PO drove it from Atlanta to Richmond VA for 4 years back
and forth to college.  When he went to grad school, itwas parked a barn
on the farm.  When he graduated, he felt the Stag was not big enough for
him so he went on his way leaving the car behind with his mother to care
for.  It sat unused, unstarted, unloved for 11.5 years till I heard about
it and was able to buy it.

I got it home and found that when the original engine had died, the PO
had it replaced with a '66 Corvette 327 ci 275 hp motor coupled to a
TH350 and used the Corvette differential running 273 gears.  The car
evidently ran well as he drove for several years and about 22,000 mile
with this set up.  I brought it home and during a 7 month hiccup with the
differential, I tuned it, babied it some, and got it running.  It sounded
great in the garage with the open headers!  But now....now it sounds even
better on the open road with the open headers!

I drove around the neighborhood slowly testing the brakes, watching the
oil pressure and temp, and trying the power steering out.  Everything
works!  So it's off to the gas station to fill it up and play till I have
to go to work this afternoon.

Gotta love these cars!

Hugh R. McAleer
Jonesboro, GA