Re: 2500 S, timing/firing problem

To: Bill Donald <wf_donald@stpatricks.tas.edu.au>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 2500 S, timing/firing problem
From: "Douglas Mitchell" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 13:24:19 -0400 "2500 S, timing/firing problem" (Sep 5, 6:45pm)
> Subject: 2500 S, timing/firing problem
> Hi,
> car: 1977 2500S Australian model. Twin SU HS6 carbs, manual-od, eng no
> MM45565HEA.
>
> problem: it's not firing on the front three cylinders.
>
> I recently took the cylinder head off because it was running very badly,
> found a solid mass of carbon 2-4mm thick all around the inlet ports of the
> front three cylinders.
> I cleaned that off, replaced a couple of exhaust valve guides and ground
> smooth the tips of the rockers (probably a mistake).
>
> Once back together I found cylinders 1-2-3 were sparking, but not
> combusting the mixture!
> Taking the sparkplug lead off (engine running) made no difference.
> Could it be a timing thing?

For an engine to run, three things must be present.

1. Spark
2. Fuel/air mixture
3. Compression

If you have a spark, but taking the wires off makes no difference, you are
missing one or both of the other two. Check to see if you have compression
in the first three cylinders. Make sure that you have the valve lash set
properly. Make sure that you don't have a blockage in the manifold of
the first three cylinders. Make sure that the front carb is working.
Make sure that you have the wires on in the right order!

> I have the Autobook and most of the Haynes workshop manuals, they say this
> engine should be timed to 10 degrees BTDC. Also when putting on the Timing
> chain, to balance No. 6 rockers and turn the crank to 2 degrees BTDC. I did
> that.
>  (as these are English books/specs, does anyone know if Australian models
> differ?)
>
> Distributer drive gear - is this supposed to be on a 45 degree angle (as in
> the first 2000 Fig.) or at a right angle to the engine block (the next Fig.
> says 2.5, but it's fuel injected, is the carb. 2500 version like that or
> like the 2000?)
>
> Finally, the distributer seems a bit strange. The mechanical and vacuum
> advance work in opposite directions - one advances, one retards. Has that
> got something to do with emission control?
> Distributer No. is 41654 A 45D6 -> 0577
>
> I have another distributer from a 1974 car in which vacuum and mechanical
> work in the same direction. (41536 A 45D6 -> 2074)
>
> Does the HEA suffix in the Engine No. mean high compression? If so, what
> ratio? Would that be a carb. or PI engine? If it's PI maybe it's got the
> wrong cam for carbs?
>
> Is there anybody with an Australian spec. post-1975 2500 (TC or S) car, who
> can tell me how there engine is set up?
>

>-- End of excerpt from Bill Donald

Sorry I can't help you on the other questions, but hope that my suggestions
get the car running correctly.

Cheers,

Doug Mitchell
dmitchel@ismi.net