Re: Trailing Arm

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Trailing Arm
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 20:20:38 -0400
Hello Ed,  you wrote :

 >Was informed last night that the right trailing arm on the 6 is bent. Don't
 >know how much it is bent or if it is repairable.

My first few questions are, Who informed you, How Much do they say that
it is bent, and...How in the world could that happen, without trashing
or at least damaging the things it is connected to, such as the frame
sections themselves, the attaching brackets, the bump stops, etc...
or is there evidence that your car was hit in the right rear, perhaps
against the wheel ?

It seems to me that these cast aluminum trailing arms will still be
around beyond the next ice age, provided the threads to the six studs
at the wheel hub have been repaired with Heli-coils, etc..  8-)

 >Can use any advise on the possibility of repairing the current arm and/or
 >where I can obtain another. The Roadster Factory does not have any and said
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have a salvaged pair of them, right and left, probably with at least
one or two stripped studs per side, get back to me if you are interested
enough to pay shipping from the Dayton, Ohio area, plus beer money
(i.e. price negotiable).

 >that the only ones that you can get are used. If I have to go that route,
 >where do I find a used  one and if I have to buy it sight unseen how do I
 >know I'm not getting one thats badly rusted, bent or whatever.
                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^
I can guarantee that mine is not rusted at all !!  (Aluminum, remember)

 >I expect to attend the British Invasion in Stowe Vt. later this month.
 >Anyone have any idea if parts are available at that event (Chris?).
 >
 >Appreciate any help you guy (generic term) can give.
 >
 >Ed
 >
 >74 TR6 daily driver turning into project car
 >
 >~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
 >"How much deeper would the ocean be if sponges didn't live there."
 >~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
 >
 >Ed Hutchinson
 >Financial Aid Office
 >SUNY Inst. of Technology
 >P.O. Box 3050
 >Utica, NY 13504
 >315-792-7210

Best regards,
Tom Tweed
SW Ohio
'72 TRident 750cc  basket case ... plus assorted TR-6 salvaged bits