Brake Fluid Contamination

To: Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Brake Fluid Contamination
From: Mark Stahlke <mstahlke@denver.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 1997 14:31:38 -0700
   Checking the fluids in my '71 TR6 this morning, I noticed a peculiar
contaminant in my DOT 3 brake fluid.
   It is very dark gray and forms fluffy looking clumps. It appears to be fine
particulate rather than liquid. There is quite a bit of it in the fluid
reservoir. The brake fluid itself has an amber color.
   The brake system has no leaks and works pretty well except that when I hit
the brakes the car pulls a little to one side then the other then straightens
out.
   Could this be rubber particles from seals or hoses? The brake behaviour
implies trouble with hoses, but how would that contaminate the fluid in the
reservoir? Maybe the seals in the master cylinder are going? It was rebuilt
about a year ago.
   Your thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
   Mark