Various Ques. TR4/4A (was Re:Overheating Tr4 A)

To: WMPLESS@netcom.ca, Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Various Ques. TR4/4A (was Re:Overheating Tr4 A)
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 1997 13:14:59 -0400 (EDT)
K, I'll answer your e-mail in the text you sent.

> I had the car out for a short drive and the [temp] gauge needle
>  stays right in the middle.

Great, glad you found the problem.

>  Checked the data plate [and it] reads:
>     Quote:                CTC 65409       L
>                                19           H  11
>                                         2660
>                                                   Unquote.

OK - here's the significance of that.

CTC 65409  - your commission # . Since CTC 64148 through CTC 75172 were the
numbers for those TR4A's built in '66, yours is a '66 TR4A.
L - means it was built as a left hand drive
19 - body color (no matter what Moss says, it was "New White") same as mine
H - means that the seats were leather at the factory
11 - means that the interior was black
2660 - the gross laden weight in lbs.

>  The Moss Catalog shows for the TR4 and TR4A only a Spa White with
>  Ditzler 8335 and Dockers 3436. I have heard of a new white shade but I'm
>  not sure whether this is the same.

See above for my explanation of the paint codes.  Spa White was replaced in
Mar '63.  I am still trying to track down the Ditzler and Dockers codes for
"New White" so would appreciate it if you let me know if you find out what
they are. I also found a Martin Senior Paint code (in addition to the Dupont
# 97066 which I gave you).  The Martin code for New White is 25429

>As you probably know  the colour of the wheels were changed from silver to
spa >white. My car has white rims  had it seems to be the original paint. The
inside of >the rims is dark brown.

That jibes with what I know.  According to a regional memo to TR dealers in
the US -part of which is here:

" TO: All Dealers
 DEPT: Service and Parts
 DISTRIBUTION: All Dealers
 BULLETIN: S-62-48
 DATE: January 2, 1963
 SUBJECT: Spa White Painted Wheels
 RELEASE: Immediate

 Owing to reasons beyond their control, we have been advised by the factory
in
 England that, with effect early in March 1963, all models in the range will
 have their road wheels painted in Spa White color in place of the silver
 aluminum color at present in use. (snip)"
   Now if you notice the effective date, the significance MIGHT BE that they
had some Spa White left over and since they were going to change to New White
(3/63) for the body they decided to use the Spa White for the disk wheels.
 How long that lasted or whether they eventually went to New White for the
wheels, I don't know.

>  Krgds Wiard

Hope this helps further.  Cheers.

Art Kelly '64TR4 CT33118L (original owner)
VTR TR4 vehicle consultant