Spin-on filter adapter

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spin-on filter adapter
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 1997 23:15:03 -0700
I put a spin-on filter on the GT6 today (TR6 engine), and my experience
with it confirms what others have recently said about fit. It doesn't.

The outer flange is simply too deep. If the adapter were installed
without the outer seal ring, the inner o-ring might contact the inner
land. However, that would accomplish little, since even with sealant,
the outer seal would leak under pressure. Further, a new outer seal ring
is included with the adapter, so one would presume it is to be used.

I had to put the adapter in the lathe and turn off almost 1/8" from the
outer lip before the inner oil-ring contacted the inner land
sufficiently for me to feel comfortable with it.

The part is clearly improperly made. The one I bought has a maker's mark
on it as "Flowtech" and "Made in UK."

BTW, if one is contemplating fitting one of these items, a reasonably
simple way to check if the inner o-ring is seating is to grease the
o-ring fairly liberally (this also helps keep it in place while the
adapter is being fitted), and if it is in contact with the land, grease
will be squeezed away from the area of contact.

The general advice is not to buy this item unless one has the machine
tools necessary to modify the adapter, and as well, to let the supplier
know that one is considering the purchase, but won't purchase unless
guarantees are made that the unit fits properly. After all, it's about
$50 through most suppliers--why should one pay $50 for something which
can potentially ruin an engine if installed as is?

Cheers.

--
My other Triumph runs, but....