Re: TR-4A repost: Lower wishbone attachment safety issue

To: John Cowan <jfcowan@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: TR-4A repost: Lower wishbone attachment safety issue
From: "Chris Lillja" <Chris_Lillja@Pupress.Princeton.Edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 15:32:51 EST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
.....  It isn't clear in Piggot's "Original Triumph TR"  whether
> brackets with two bolts were ever standard on the TR-4A....

John, I just did this gig on my '66 4A. The brackets all had two
holes... but I still had to drill holes below the originals to fit
the TR6 suspension brackets and backing plates. The original holes
are "front and rear" and the new brackets need holes "upper and
lower". I know TRF recomends replacing the entire suspension
frame bracket, and adding six new gussetts, but I thought this to be
overboard, requiring all four brackets to be cut off and replaced. I
don't see how this could be done properly with the body in situ...
the TR4A frame brackets have two holes each while the TR6 frame
brackets have four holes each... I guess this is so there is only one
type of frame bracket, instead of 4! Now my car has TR6 pivot
brackets with two 3/8 studs each, with a nice heavy backing plate and
new hardware to hold it all. I checked the original welds and
brackets carefully -- they were slightly distorted where the old
single stud went in the frame bracket, but they were fine otherwise.
Until I do the "frame off" it'll have to do. It's WAY superior to the
single bolt arrangement and at $100 bucks or so (TRF)the price is
right. I might add the six gusset plates after my 220v line makes it
to the garage.

After seeing the bent trashed single studs on the original brackets I
would recomend driving on them...

Any comments, listers?
Christopher M.Lillja
Marketing Associate