TR-4A repost: Lower wishbone attachment safety issue

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR-4A repost: Lower wishbone attachment safety issue
From: John Cowan <jfcowan@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 12:08:42 -0700 (PDT)
   My late model TR-4A (CT65034LO) has an inconsistency regarding front
suspension lower wishbone attachment.  Each arm of the lower wishbone
attaches to a bracket via bushings. The bracket attaches to the frame rail
via a single bolt, but the frame rail where the bracket is attached has two
bolt holes.  It isn't clear in Piggot's "Original Triumph TR"  whether
brackets with two bolts were ever standard on the TR-4A.  He says, however,
that "strengthened parts are available" and states that the original design
is dangerous.
   Last  year someone wrote that their lower wishbone fell out on the road.
 Keith Bennett, who had this happen, responded to my original post and
suggested using the two bolt brackets that became standard on the TR-6 and
welding a plate on back of the frame rail, as well.
   I sent the original post at a bad time and decided to repost and see if
any others had thoughts on this issue.
   Thanks.
John Cowan