Re: To all "chevy mechanics" concerning top

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: To all "chevy mechanics" concerning top
From: "Jim Gambony" <gambony@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 13:12:43 PDT
Maybe I missed something here.

If I understand the issue correctly, the idea is that due to a worn
rocker shaft/rocker bushes there will be enough oil leakage at the back
of the valve train (where the oil passage to the rockershaft is) that
the front rockers are probably not getting enough oil?  And that the
cure is to add the additional line to get more oil, also to the back of
the head?

By some perversity of materials science, apparently the rockershaft
(steel) wears faster than the rocker bushings (bronze).  I've been
assured by a friend in the know that if the wear in the valvetrain is
not too extreme, fitting a new rockershaft (approx $30 for the Spitfire)
should reduce most of the free play.  Better solution than dumping more
oil in the wrong place!

Because I know that as enthusiasts we are all changing our oil
frequently with quality oil (your own choice, I'm not going there!), and
we are taking care to get the engines up to temp before showing off.

ps.  so far the postings I've seen say that the Spitfires don't have as
many problems.  I think my race motor may have too much oil up top (yes,
85-95 lbs at speed!) already, but the street car.....

Jim