Re: I'm having a BRAKE down

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, beagle@idir.net (Tony & Kim Zager)
Subject: Re: I'm having a BRAKE down
From: muntsb@HiWAAY.net
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 97 03:01:02 GMT
Hi Tony,

I had the very same problem about a year ago while rebuilding the tandem brake
M/C on my '70 MKIII Spitfire.  I also split three primary seals no matter how
much special grease I used or how careful I was.  The rebuild kit was from
Vicky Brit and the seals were from a company in Australia (no slam intended
against Vicky Brit or Australia...just the facts).  I got so frustrated that I
ordered a "genuine" Girling kit from The Roadster Factory and the problem (at
least that one) was solved.  I believe the difference was in the material used
to make the seals.  I checked both seals dimensions very carefully and they
were the same, however the Girling seal was softer and stretched more easily.

The curious thing is that the seal that was on the M/C when I took it apart was
one of the Australian made seals and worked just fine for some time.  I think I
know why this is (I'm a plastics process engineer by day) but I won't get into
that.

So I would suggest you go find yourself a Girling (now sold as Lucas) kit.  If
the seal that is splitting is a Girling seal then perhaps you don't have the
proper kit or you don't have the M/C that you think you have (this happened to
me also).  Oh the special red grease...use lots of it.

In defense of Vicky Brit.  They replaced the splitting seal three times with
out a question and in the end refunded my money for the kit.  While the kit did
not work Vicky Brit made it right.

Hope this helps and good luck

Bill M.
'70 MkIII Spitfire (71 DSP)