FIAT - My apologies

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: FIAT - My apologies
From: Keith Ehrlich <75452.105@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 19:58:42 -0400
Message text written by "Musson, Carl"
>My daughter has a '77 Fiat 124 Spyder (She hasn't seen the light - yet)
and is looking for a good source for parts.
She is located in central Illinois.  Any suggestions?  Respond to me so
that we don't burden the lists with Italian trivia....  ;-)

          I guess I didn't listen, Carl.  :-) :-)
<

Carl-

In 1974 I bought a brandy new Fiat 124 Spyder. I really had my eye on the
TR6 but got swayed by the Fiat's apparently more modern fitout ( tube
shocks-whoa) and more room ( a so called back seat) and "Italian panache".
Over the next 18 months it spent as much time in the incompetent deale'rs
shop as on the road.  I finally sold it, both due to poverty ( hey I was
only 23, what business was it of mine to buy a new car) and a broken heart
(I really did like the Fiat) .

For the next 22 years I lusted for a TR6. In 1991, though, I almost bought
an LBC as a third car until at the last minute, my wife said "you don't
plan to work on that thing on weekends, do you?"  I said," that's the
point". She said " you don't get the point." Yikes! Too late, I was hooked
on the idea of driving topless. I ended up trading my 4 door driver for a
new 91 Mazda RX7 convertible( same time the Miata's were just showing
up-but for some reason I just couldn't bring myself...um, see Miata thread)
. Man, that RX7 convertible was beautiful and ran like a watch for 5 years.
Yep, just like a watch....yep...and I got bored. So I sold it last fall.

Made it about 2 weeks before I saw an ad for a signal red 74 TR6. I
couldn't stand it. It was time to try asking forgiveness rather than
permission. So I did it on a whim. Fast attack, no long angushing mechanics
review, no tortuous price negotiating, just did it. Still married today,
remarkably-guess she mellowed.

Well its been in the shop or under my wrench  about as much as its been on
the road ( not much changed in 22 years) and likely will end up costing as
much in repairs and maintenance as that whole Fiat cost new. But  have to
say,  the TR is the  neatest car I ever owned, I've relearned much of my
lost mechanical stuff and being part of the Scions scene has been great.
And here in New England, they still wave back.   /8^P

There, I finally got it off my chest (sorry listers)...I'll go back to work
now.

Keith Ehrlich
74 TR6  CF21812

"I may be lost, but I'm making great time!"