Re: TR6 vibration & solution

To: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR6 vibration & solution
From: "Nick" <Nickbk@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 16:38:32 -0700

----------
> From: Philip E. Barnes <peb3@cornell.edu>
> To: triumphs@autox.team.net
> Subject: TR6 vibration & solution
> Date: Thursday, September 11, 1997 5:52 AM
>
> Good morning:
> As I have mentioned before, the Mistress has an annoying vibration (watch
> it, Andy!) that comes in at about 3K rpm and gets worse. I ordered the
full
> complement of U-joints for the driveline (6) and took the prop shaft and
> half-shafts to a heavy-duty truck place to be rebuilt. Upon examination,
> the fellow in the shop suggested that the splines in the half-shafts were
> borderline (barely perceptible play).
<snip>

Phil-
Be careful of the "borderline" splines in your half shafts. No, they're not
gonna fall out and leave you stranded, but it only takes a very small
amount of play to produce a "clunk" in the rear when the power is
applied/released. Often when you have them off of the car they will feel
OK, but on the car they will "come to rest" at the same place in the
splines, and guess where the wear occurs. Yep, right there. It only takes
enough movement to be noticeable by eye to actually cause the dreaded
"clunk". Hopefully you're not that far along...use lots of grease on
reassembly of the two parts. (After having gotten them "surgically" clean
of course)

Been accused of being "borderline" myself...
             Nick in Nor Cal