Miata thread

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Miata thread
From: WINDOWSEET@aol.com
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 01:57:10 -0400 (EDT)
Ah, the much maligned MX5! I am amazed at the venom that has been heaped on
this car by listers. Years ago I was involved in a video tape project and it
so happened that the photographer had just completed video projects for
Mitsubishi and Mazda. He gave me copies of the promotional tapes which were
introductions for the cars to their US dealers. Along with the Mazda tape was
a book that followed the development of the Miata.....by US designers I might
add. Since the project involved recreating an LBC using 80's (at the time)
technology the first thing the designers did was go out and get a bunch of
LBC's to drive. So, for those of you who are down on Miata you might like to
know that you're somewhat related to the bastard. Yes, one of the cars used
to set the parameters for the Miata was the Triumph Spitfire.

I have to admit that I see a lot of Miatas with the top up in beautiful
weather but I put that down to the mentality of the driver and I don't fault
the car. No, it isn't fast but then neither is a Bug-eye Sprite.......but
that doesn't mean it isn't FUN! Beisdes how can I point a finger at Miata's
with their tops up when I drive a GT6+, which due to the recessive Triumph
LeMans gene was born without a convertible top. Yes, they drive around with
the top up and the airconditioning on and I drive around with the top up and
a cockpit that feels like it's 100 degrees from heat leaking through the
transmission tunnel. If you're going to heap ridicule on someone GT6 drivers
are a good place to start. <g>.

No, I wouildn't give up my GT6+ for a convertible, Triumph or otherwise and I
suspect that Miata owners love their cars as much as we do ours, even if it
is for different reasons. I bought a Miata for a former spouse and found it
to be claustrophobic and twitchy to drive, but then again so was my cousin's
Europa.

They don't wave and they don't drive around in February with the top down
like I used to in a friend's Sunbeam Alpine but I suspect that they also
didn't drive to Sebring in a Sprite with a hill climb rear end and a short
racing windscreen only to stand in the rain all day once we got theire. LBC
owners a different breed and I enjoy the rare occasions when I see one with
their top down, flashing their lights and waving....makes me feel like I'm
part of a select group with a secret handshake. The days that shaped LBC
owners are long gone but I think it is better to treasure and preserve what
we have rather than make fun of a car that has it's roots in our past.

See, we can all live with top up, air conditioned, non-waving
Miatas.......it's those
#$^*(##$$ SUV drivers with the cell phones, hogging up the passing lane we
need to do something about!

Too busy enjoying my GT6+

Greg Wolf
1970 GT6+ "Ian"