RE: Painting

To: "David Stephenson" <daves96@concentric.net> (Return requested)
Subject: RE: Painting
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 12 Sep 1997 09:30:24 -0700
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> (Return requested)
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 0A59834196E20003-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-received: by /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 12 Sep 1997 09:30:24 -0700
X400-received: by mta mtamailhub in /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 12 Sep 1997 09:30:24 -0700
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <0A59834196E20003*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
David Stephenson asked:

I'm in the process of "freshening up" as opposed to completely restoring
my long garaged 1974 TR-6 and would like to know if you could recommend a
decent shop to take the car for painting in the L.A./Orange County area. Is
$500 - $1000 a realistic price and what would I get if I paid more than
$1,000? I'm having the engine work done at Britalia in Fullerton.
=================
David - hope you don't mind but I passed this along to the list for
suggestions as well.  More resources that way.  Can others offer their
suggestions please?

First, the dollar amount is a little low IMHO.  Even for a "basic" paint
job nowadays, I'd figure closer to $1,200 to $1,500, and figure $2,000 if
yo want a pretty serious job.  Most of the money is in the prep work, ya
know.  Sometimes you can save a few hundred if you remove ALL the trim for
them and reinstall it yourself - make sure to ask.  There are some shops
("One Day", "Same Day", "Earl Scheib") that will do a car for $500 or so,
but you get what you pay for.

As to the names of paint shops in O.C. or the L.A. area?  Well, shoot, the
two guys I know work, umm, well, umm, kinda not really legal if you know
what I mean.  SCAQMD regulations require paint booths, etc. and these guys
don't comply.  I can get you their names privately if you want.  Why don't
you give me your number and I will call you this weekend, okay?  There are
also a couple of other guys I can refer, too.  One is "Elegance" on Newport
Blvd. in Costa Mesa.  The other is "European Auto Restorations" on
Placentia Ave. in Costa Mesa.  Both are in the phone book.  Hope this
helps.