setting timing

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: setting timing
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 13:22:36 -0600
I finally got around to setting the timing on my 76 TR6 this weekend
(owned the car for 16 years and this is the first time I have done this
- of course there is aten year period of not driving the car there).

Well the job was pretty straightforward once I rounded up a bulb tester
(for the static) and a strobe light (for the dynamic). I tried the
static timing first (10' BTDC as per Bentley for a 76 TR6). No great
change to the way the car ran. I found that turning the crank accurately
in the minute angle changes required was quite tedious (I jacked up one
rear wheel and just turned it by hand withthe car in top gear).

I then moved on to the dynamic timing. Hooked up the strobe light and
had at it. Again no great mystery and I set it to 4' ATDC as per
Bentley. Again no real change in the way the car ran so I assume it was
pretty close before I started all this.

I do plan to change to a Lucas sport coil and Pertronix electronic
ignition (and new wires) soon. Shoul I be changing the timing with this
set up? I know I should regap the plugs to .035 from .025 with the
hotter coil. Any other changes I should consider with this ignition
upgrade?

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
Calgary AB Canada