hood cable - tr6

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: hood cable - tr6
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 13:38:28 -0600
Last week I received a new inner and outer hood cable from TRF which I
installed this weekend. The install was far from smooth in light of the
fact I received a "weird" cable from them.

My original cable was mounted in the car with the pull handle in a
vertical position. The way the cable gets mounted in the car is such
that the handle can only be oriented in one way. If the handle gets
mounted on the wall of the car vertically then all is well. If it gets
mounted horizontally then there is not enough clearance between the left
side of the handle and the wall of the car. Well, TRF's cable could only
mount horizontally! I don't know if it from a different car or if their
cables simply aren't made like my original one. I called them but got no
answers other than send it back. Well I didn't feel like paying more to
ship an item than it is worth so I just filed down a flat spot on the
last two threads of the outer cable's threaded part at 90' to the
origianl flat spot. This made it fit in the wall bracket in the correct
orientation.

Has anyone else had this problem with hood release cables from TRF (they
were made in UK so I assuem I was just shipped the wrong part)?

Do other people's TR6 hood release handles mount vertically as well or
my car really strange?

Any insights appreciated.

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)