Re: Spit horn (the dark prince)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spit horn (the dark prince)
From: joe-schneider@nwu.edu (Joseph R Schneider)
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 23:03:22 -0500
>Joseph,
>
>Check to see is the back side of the steering wheel is rubbing on the
>metal edge of the steering column housing, just above the turn signal
>and hi/lo beam switch.
Charlie, other listers-
it does rub, but how would that cause the horn to blow, it shouldn't put
the slip ring purple/black stripe wire at ground potential, should it? it
seems to me the housing and wheel/steering shaft should both be at ground,
it's only when the slip ring is at ground that the relay should be closed
I noticed when I pulled the wheel the first time several weeks ago that the
hub had clearly rubbed against the housing/tube as you describe, I also
noticed the lateral play in the upper steering shaft bushing mentioned in
my post and that there is considerable end float in the shaft, I guess
there should be since it's designed to collapse, but it then seems to me
that end thrust is, therefore, limited by the inner ring on the back
(firewall side) of the steering wheel hub rubbing on the plastic outside
the brass slip ring (there's a pretty good groove there on mine) or by the
outer ring of the back of the hub rubbing against the tube
what do you think?

Joseph R Schneider    Web Page http://pubweb.acns.nwu.edu/~jschneid/JRS.HTML
76 Spitfire 1500  FM45587UC  VTR #11526  *Spit happens*
"I'll take him to the Jesuits for they know the sins of the Pope himself."
Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt page 129 (my daughter attends a Jesuit High
School)