RE: Hub Removal

To: "Vic Whitmore" <vicwhit@octonline.com> (Return requested), "Triumph (E-mail)" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net> (Return requested)
Subject: RE: Hub Removal
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 17 Sep 1997 09:57:43 -0700
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 0546E34200C0704D-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-received: by /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 17 Sep 1997 09:57:43 -0700
X400-received: by mta mtamailhub in /c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; Relayed; 17 Sep 1997 09:57:43 -0700
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <0546E34200C0704D*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
Vic Whitmore wrote:

The manual shows a special tool to pull the hub off a rear axle of 76
Spitfire. Can this be done without the tool? Do you need heat and a
hydraulic press?
===========
Oh God, not this again!

Vic - those hubs are a b_tch to remove without the proper tool, or a
homemade version of the tool.  Yes, sometimes heat and a BIG hydraulic
press will work (try several TONS on pressure) but you will likely bend the
hub as I did in removing it.  Replacement hubs are available new from
Rimmer and Kipping for - are you sitting down? - about $135US each, or
rebuilt from the same sources for approx. $45 US each.

The Churchill tool listed in the Bentley manual is no longer available.
However, some enterprising members of this list (Ralph Jannelli comes to
mind) have fabricated their own version of the hub puller using an old wire
wheel spline and assorted other parts.  I am sure they will be happy to
give you the details.  My advice is to take the time to fabricate the
remover first.  Otherwise you risk destroying not only the hub, but the
axle as well.  Trust me, this topic has been covered extensively, many
methods have been tried, and the general consensus is to use the fabricated
tool.  Wishing you great success!
Ross D. Vincenti
Asst. General Counsel/Asst. Sec'ty.
Transamerica Home Loan - Legal Dept.