FW: Re: Hub Removal

To: triumphs
Subject: FW: Re: Hub Removal
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 11:03:41 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE triumphs@Autox.Team.Net:     global taboo body match "/<HTML>/i" at
line 55  global taboo body match "/<HTML>/i" at line 116]

     Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 14:01:04 -0400
     From: "Ralph Jannelli" <rjannelli@UNCC.CAMPUS.MCI.NET>
     Subject: Re: Hub Removal

Vic - As the others have said you can but such a tool from the TSSC in
England, or you can make your own. I recomend either of the above
approaches over just a regular hydrolic press, you can damage the hub. I
made mine from a used wire wheel bolt-on adaptor, you should be able to
find a stripped one from a Triumph "breaker". I had it cut down to just
above the splined area, Then we welded a 1/2" thick piece of tool steel
in the opening. I then bought a $10 pitman arm puller from J.C. Whitney
and used the puller screw from that with the center of the tool drilled
and tapped to acccept it. The axle is placed in a bench mounted vice,
one with pipe jaws, to hold it in place. The tool is mounted to the hub
and locked down with four wheel nuts. The tapered end of the screw and
threads are lubricated and the tightening begins. Do not stand directly
in fron of the tool when tightening it, When it give it will pop off and
could hurt you. The ones I have done only went a foot or two before
falling to the floor, so it's not too bad. I use a long box wrench and
tighten as much as possible, watch the screw and keep your tightening
force in line so you don't snap it off. I don't recommend using a
"helper on the wrench to get more leverage you'll probably only suceed
in breaking the screw. If it does not pop off and you can't get it any
tighter then take a hammer and litely tap all around the edges then try
tightening some more. So far this is all I have needed to get the four
hubs off that I have tried with this tool. Two of them were on axles
that had sat out in the weather for several years. I have never had to,
nor do I recommend, heating on the hubs.
Hope this helps

 ----