Re: TR6 Body Removal Question

To: Ian Clough <c5h22a@nortel.ca>
Subject: Re: TR6 Body Removal Question
From: George Leicht <glite@eos.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 13:57:01 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Ian Clough wrote:

> I posted this last week, but haven't seen it appear in the list...
>
> Hi Folks,
>
>   I know many of you have in the past had occasion to remove the body from
> the frame of your Tr6s.  I am in the process of doing so to my '74, some
> of you have already given me advice concerning this.  My latest problem
> is that I've removed via much loss of knuckle skin, all the bolts (at least
> I think I've located all of them).  All the neighbourhood children have
>learned
> many-many four letter words in the process.  Now, I put a jack under a long
> 4x4 piece off wood under the length of the driver's side, just to try lifting
> the body a bit (just to verify that the body and frame seperate).  This is
> not working, the body and frame are still 'together'.  Has this happened to
> anyone else out there?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Ian Clough
> Ottawa
> '74 & '75 Tr6s

Ian, its been a while since I removed my body tub.  From your post it
appears the tub is not lifting from the frame in the area of the seats,
not a problem of binding near the rear bumper.

If I remember correctly (its been over two years), there are ten bolts
on each side (driver and passenger) of the floor.  There are two (or
four bolts) on the rear shelf.  There is a larger (11/16 wrench) bolt on
the floor on either side of the drive shaft tunnel to the rear of the
seat mountings.  Someone told me they had trouble separating the body
until they removed the seat mounts (although none of the bolts go
through the frame).
There are also two bolts from the body to the frame connect from the
trunk to the frame (ya gotta stick your fingers and a wrench inside the
rear frame channel) to get nut.   The rest are pretty obvious.

Lastly,    I lifted the tub by using the bolds that hold the seat belts
to the floor (where the rear of the door meets the sill) and the two
holes in the brackets in the engine bay (top of the out side fender to
top of the inside fender 28 inches back from the from where the head
lights attach).  You can make a piece that slides behind the bracket to
grab a length of chain suspended between the two brackets.

Used two comealongs to raise the body. I think the frame came up a
little with the tub, then separated and dropped.  Good luck

george leicht
glite@eos.net