Transmission lubricant question

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Transmission lubricant question
From: kinderlehrer@mindspring.com (Kinderlehrer's)
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 23:16:58 -0400 (EDT)
Thanks to the good advice of George, Paul and Schuyler, I was able to check
the fluid level in the trans (of course it was low).  Since there was in
fact a dip stick device hidden under the carpet and the access was
obviously not there from the factory, either the trans, the floor, or both
are not original. No surprise there, either.

The question now is what do I top it off with?  I remember a thread awhile
back about the pros and cons of different fluids, oils, greases, et. al.,
but I can't find it.  It appears from the color of what's on the dip stick
and what's seeping from the drain plug, that it currently has automatic
transmission fluid in it.

Any advice on what to add?  Could it really be auto transmission fluid? Can
I add regular 90 wt hypole trans oil on top of the auto trans fluid?
Should I drain it and then fill it with 90wt?  Or should I add more auto
fluid?

THIA, it's really appreciated.

BobK